Applied Microeconomics, Housing/Real Estate/Urban Economics, Public Economics
Peer Reviewed Publications
"This Old House: Historical Restoration as a Neighborhood Amenity" with G. Turnbull, B. Waller, W. Witschey, and V. Zahirovic-Herbert, Land Economics, Vol. 95(2) 2019.
"Who Benefits from Targeted Property Tax Relief? Evidence from Virginia Elections" with J. Moulton and B. Waller, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 37(2) 2018.
"Temporally Dynamic Externalities and Real Estate Liquidity" with R. Brastow and B. Waller, Journal of Real Estate Research, 40(2) 2018.
"The Role of Transaction Costs in Impeding Market Exchange in Real Estate," with X. Bian and B. Waller, Journal of Housing Research, 25(2) 2016.
"How Many Listings are Too Many? Agent Listing Externalities and the Residential Housing Market," with X. Bian, G. Turnbull, and B. Waller, Journal of Housing Economics, Vol. 28 2015.
"Estimating the Effect of Crime Risk on Property Values and Time on Market: Evidence from Megan's Law in Virginia," with B. Waller and R. Brastow, Real Estate Economics, 42(1) 2014.
"Not in my Backyard: The Effect of Substance Abuse Treatment Centers on Property Values" with C. LaRoche and B. Waller, Journal of Sustainable Real Estate, Vol. 6 2014.
"Political Beliefs and Tort Awards: Evidence of Rationally Political Jurors from Two Data Sets," Review of Law & Economics, 8(3) 2012.
Other Publications (Short Articles, Chapters, Pedagogical Articles, etc.)
“The Natural Capital Accounting Opportunity: Let’s Really Do the Numbers,” BioScience, 68(12) 2018.
- with J. Boyd, K. Bagstad, J.C. Ingram, C. Shapiro, J. Adkins, F. Casey, C. Duke, P. Glynn, E. Goldman, M Grasso, J. Hass, J. Johnson, G.M. Lange, J. Matuszak, A. Miller, K. Oleson, S. Posner, C. Rhodes, F. Soulard, M. Vardon, F. Villa, and B. Voigt
"Valuing Housing Services in the Era of Big Data: A User Cost Approach Leveraging Zillow Microdata" with M. Gindelsky and J. Moulton
- Revising for 2019 NBER-CRIW Volume on Big Data for 21st Century Economic Statistics.
"Marketing during a Recession: An Illustration of How Economic Principles Guide Marketing Approaches," with M. Marks and A. O'Connor, Journal for Economic Educators, 14 (1) 2014.
Current Research (Updated March 2019)
(*Some of these may have been presented under a different title at a conference/seminar/workshop - see my CV on the home page for the list of academic presentations)
- "Mitigating Agency Costs in the Housing Market: Education or Incentives?” with G. Turnbull and B. Waller
- Revisions requested by Management Science
- "Foreclosure Externalities and Real Estate Liquidity" with R. Brastow, X. Bian, & B. Waller
- Revisions requested by Real Estate Economics
- “Real Effects of Tax Uncertainty: Evidence from Firm Capital Investments” with K. Wentland and M. Jacob
- Revisions requested by The Accounting Review
- "Monetary Policy and the Housing Market: Evidence from National Microdata" with J. Moulton
- “Why Disclose Less Information? Toward Resolving a Disclosure Puzzle in the Housing Market” with X. Bian, J. Contat, and B. Waller
- “Toxic Assets: How the Housing Market Responds to Environmental Information Shocks” with N. Sanders and J. Moulton
- “Integrating Physical and Economic Data into Experimental Water Accounts for the United States: Lessons and Opportunities” with K. Bagstad, Z. Ancona, J. Hass, P. Glynn, F. Soulard, M. Vardon, and B. Voigt“Integrating Physical and Economic Data into Experimental Water Accounts for the United States: Lessons and Opportunities” with K. Bagstad, Z. Ancona, J. Hass, P. Glynn, F. Soulard, M. Vardon, and B. Voigt
- "District Randomization and the Problem of Political Social Cost" with P. Stone
- "Neighborhood Tipping and Sorting Dynamics in Real Estate: Evidence from the Virginia Sex Offender Registry" with X. Bian, R. Brastow, M. Stoll, and B. Waller
Works in Progress
- “A Hedonic House Price Index for the U.S.” with M. Silver, M. Gindelsky, J. Moulton
- “Accounting for Land in the U.S.” with Z. Ancona, J. Boyd, K. Bagstad, J. Hass, M. Gindelsky, J. Moulton, C. Shapiro, and B. Voigt
- “Crime Risk and Housing Values: Evidence from Colorado’s Natural Experiment” with R. Brastow, Y. Kim, and J. Moulton
- “Segment Reporting Trade-Offs for Financial Reporting” with M. Cobabe, B. Johnson, and K. Wentland
- “Property Tax Salience and the Housing Market: Evidence from National Microdata” with J. Moulton, M. Gindelsky, and K. Wentland